Monday, January 01, 2007

16. So what's in a wiki

Finally I'm having fun. Wiki is a Hawaian word meaning quick or fast. This suits me fine. I found it very user friendly. I like the idea of being able to develop a Web site with no knowledge of HTML or other markup languages. Anyone can add to or edit in a wiki.

I explored the "Booklovers Wiki" thought this one would be good for Bookgroups, perhaps to add their readings to as well. Better still, we could have a Bookgroup Wiki.

I also looked at "Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki. Thought this was also a great site for library practices to come together and be shared. We could tell them all about YPRL's great achievements with Learning 2.0.

Using a Wiki to create Online Communities. Finally, a website that reflects the imagination and good ideas of the ENTIRE ORGANIZATION, not just a select few with the requisite "tech-savvy".

There are endless possabilities for libraries to create an online hub of their local community. Not forgetting our Multicultural needs of the community.

I thought of what Wiki I would create for our library and came up with the idea of a "LIBRARY TECHNICIAN'S WIKI" In this we could discuss the roles and ideas other Technicians. In the past we have had to wait until a Library Technician's Conference comes around, which is every two years, to share our skills and achievements. WIKI-LT HERE WE COME!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home